Finally! Someone turned off the tap up there. On the day I wore brown and I have to go out. I must really be a very valuable (try saying that without biting your tongue) worker. I brave wind and rain, go on expeditions, fight unruly taxi men and surprise attacks from salespeople, welcome in traders and of course, show visitors their way with a complementary drink. All that, in heels.
Like just yesterday, when I was wearing a WHITE shirt, I was sent on an expedition to South Bridge Road amidst the torrential rain. With no umbrella. And no Lor Mee. So I had to swim around the shops in an empty stomach trying to find where that blasted unit is. And when I found the door and (finally) had the brains to figure out it was on the second (or third) floor, I looked up and saw: Mount Everest. The steps were so steep, they looked like they're going to tumble on you. And when you're on top, you look like you're about to commit suicide. Honestly, if a pregnant woman were to attempt climbing it, her stomach will probably be knocking into the steps ahead. Then I think the only way she can climb up is by going backwards.
And today, I was sent out to repeat the expedition minus the wind and rain. Only to board a taxi with a driver that scolded me all the way to South Bridge Road. Ok. My instructions were clear. I told him South Bridge Road, around unit No. 60. He said he didn't know where it was. So I tried explaining it to him. I said it was around Funan Centre and Raffles Place. And he reprimanded me! He said "Then you should say it's Hill Street, not South Bridge Road" Fine. Then when we were nearing the area, I said it's further down, past the bridge at Funan there. And he said "Then it's North Bridge Road, not South Bridge Road." I told him that that was the address I was given. Then he said "It should be North Bridge." Whatever! Then he asked me if I should U-turn at a junction (how would I know?) I said I don't think so. It's further down from Funan and Funan was just up ahead. Later he pointed at a bridge. It was an overhead bridge! Freak. NO! I said a bridge! If I could say tian1 qiao2 I would have! Then somehow I saw a bridge on the right and pointed at that one. And he said "Aiyo you arh!" And then he U-turned at a slightly later junction. Hello! Who was the one who didn't know the way?
And then when I finally got off, I asked him if he would wait for me, he said "No, I'm going back already." Oh right. And what did I see at AMK station later in the evening? SMRT values good service. Huh. Thinking back at the taxi driver. Yeah right. If I could grade the service, I'll give it one and a half stars. Zero for scolding me for HE not knowing the way and not willing to wait for me. And that one and a half salvaged for still trying to make small talk.
I got so put off taxis that I actually thought of walking back to McCallum street after I was done. I can't imagine the state of my feet now if I really did that. But on my attempt, I chanced upon Clarke Quay mrt and took it to Tanjong Pagar. Lucky me. But when I reached the building, I got snubbed by the security guard! There was this lift that was empty, and the doors were open, and the other lift was so darn slow, I decided to find out why no one was using it. Then the security guard shouted (or said in a loud voice) "Hello, can you see that other people are using it?" Duh. I can't. So I said "No." And got into the other lift. Heh. But it's alright. I managed to slight that security guard twice after that.
What's with these people honestly? They should learn to take young people seriously too. So what if we're under 20? We'll still grow up. And when we do, huh. We'll see who won't take who seriously. And never assume that we won't remember. I do.
No comments:
Post a Comment