Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Leader Reflects

************************************
Random

Just wiped my room floor. CLEAN. And scrubbed a spot on the kitchen floor. CLEAN. For that spot

************************************

What Jian Hui did to me made me think about magnanimity. I imagined myself receiving a call from Shermin/Li Ang and hearing them sob over the phone to me about a member who said photographers were slackers.

And I thought of my response to that.

"Is it true? If it is, then do something. If it isn't, then ignore. We cannot control what others think about photog. That someone should think this way is unfortunate but inevitable. There's no use getting all upset over that comment."

Then I'll turn and look at Jian Hui dead in the eye.

"Much less take action against him. You as the president/vice president will only be showing off your pettiness when you do that."

Then I'll look away.

"How tiring it is to be a photographer we all know.. And how inexperienced and immature for that person to say that we are even clearer now. Don't let your tears fall over him. You are doing a fine job now. I have faith in that. Eventually, this person will take back his words and tell you in your face that PS is the best CCA in NJ. We all know that don't we?"



Because of Jian Hui's pettiness and abuse of power, it made me think of how important it is to be a magnanimous leader. Because the pettiness was against me. And I thought of how I would be such a better leader than him.

But when I think back to the times in NJ, perhaps I wasn't such a broad-minded leader after all. The ones who were really magnanimous are my darling papaya and watermelon. I was as much a petty asshole as Jian Hui.

Zhongxing aside. That one, we really had to outcast him. NO ONE could work harmoniously with him other than Wang Fang.

But what about Qian Xin? He showed me disprespect once, by thinking he was such a big shot. But he did apologise. On his own accord. Ok maybe he didn't think he was a big shot only once. There was also the time when he played with the safety light.

I remembered I personally stopped him from covering events myself using my power as president. I only remembered I got really pissed off with him. But I can't remember why. Or was the apology after that?

OH WHATEVER. It's over now. And he's doing fine in the Chen dynasty.

At least one really good thing came out of this episode. I am aware of my past narrow-mindedness. I am not ashame though. It's part of who I am. And fundamental to who I will be. But because I am aware, I am now conscious to avoid being narrow-minded in the future.

But then again, towards the later part of my term, I'd already learnt so much for my two darlings that I may have already 摆脱 (wait till I find the English word for that. Soon. It's at the tip of my tongue) my pettiness. Just that I only realised it now.

And I'd rather thank my papaya and watermelon for this change than Jian Hui. Not being petty. But he really does not deserve it.

No comments: