Friday, June 20, 2008

Praise be to God

Noticing that my special sem would end soon (it just ended today), I started looking out for internships about two weeks ago. Slightly more than one week ago, internships which began after June 20 started coming in. I happily applied.

My first application went in on 12 June (last week Thursday), and a couple more until 17 June (Tuesday). All the while, I was planning in my head for times when they called, and the possible scenarios that would occur. Shouldn't have planned. Up till yesterday, no one called.

From Monday till Wednesday, I kept praying for God to get me an internship, with really good pay. I told him I needed the money for exchange and I don't want a $400 internship. Really good pay. Like $750.

This morning, just after my exam, I got a call to go down for an interview. I nearly leapt for joy. Dropped by AMK Hub along the way to get a new pair of shoes. Went back, did more research on the company, got my things ready, dressed up and headed out.

The place was at Upper Thomson, like really near my place. Went in, and heard music playing while people in casual clothes walked around barefooted. Oooh.. I felt reaaaaally over-dressed.

When the "interview" formally started, I was pretty much told what I would be doing. Not questions normal interviews typically have. Immediately flashed back to my very first job "interview" where my mum's friend told me what I would be doing in the same manner too.

I think I asked the first question about the company, and her first real question to me was "So, when can I see you?" This was surreal.

When I asked how much my remuneration would be, she said "because this is an internship..."

I thought, "Oh oh. Not $400 please!"

and she wrote down the amount.

My eyeballs dropped out and rolled onto the table.

"Wow! That's really high!" I managed in a suppressed, excited, bewildered whisper.

"Yes, because we treat it as a real job, with real responsibilities."

"O...ok, if I were hired, I'll make sure I'm worth every cent." I could barely make out the words. (At that time, she hadn't asked her "so, when can I see you" question, so I wasn't entirely sure if I got it.

At that point in time, just like it is now, my head was just going "Hallelujah, hallelujah. Praise be to God, praise be to God!!!"

This is surreal.

No comments: