Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Game

**************************************************
Makeup - the mysteries of left and right continue to baffle me

**************************************************

I bought Neil Strauss' The Game. When I was first introduced the book, I was filled with curiousity on what sort of pickup tricks words could possibly impart. I immediately wanted to have the book. But alas, the libraries only had CDs of it, and they were mostly on loan. Looks like I'm not the only curious person around huh.



So I resorted to buying it. When I first found the book at Kinokuniya, I was apprehensive. Instead of just grabbing it off the shelf and heading for the cashier, I hung around the aisles, randomly choosing books I was mildly interested in.

The Game was a man's book, or so I thought. Why on earth would a woman want it??

In the end, I reminded myself (the same way I always did when I felt people might look at me with a funny eye) that I was just as random a stranger as any other patron in the shop. And if I were to read a man's book, then I'll read a man's book. What the hell.

To prove my point, I took out the book to read at every opportunity throughout the day. I'll fish the kinokuniya carrier out of my bag, take out the book, open it and read it while holding on to the carrier. Some people did look. In my direction at least. But hm.. I actually like the attention :)

The first few pages brought both revelations and agreements. Revelation in that bringing a woman's self-esteem down and not showing interest was actually a bait to get her hooked, and agreement that amateurs display their fishing rods and hooks immediately, while the pro would hunt steathily.

There was another surprise as well. That pick-ups should be done on girls in a group. Funny I always got pick-ups when I'm alone, and from people hopeless at hiding their fishing rods. Haha maybe I shouldn't be the one reading this book after all.

No comments: