Monday, August 17, 2009

My first driving lesson

Had my first driving lesson last Saturday. And here's what happened.

I got into the driver's seat after my instructor (who's really good, Mr. Lim Kwok Ing) drove us to quieter roads behind the school. (wanted to say secluded to raunch it up a bit, but since my instructor's name is here..)

After explaining to me the whole myriad of controls the driver has access to, he asked me to step lightly on the accelerator.

Which (I thought) I did. The engine revved up as it would at the start of an F1 race and the tachometer needle shot to six.

Oops.

“Aiyo, I said lightly.”

Ok ok. Second try.

Vroom. And tachometer hit three. Well, not too bad.

“Lighter.”

And I rested my foot on the pedal.

“Yeah. Just right. That’s the accelerator”

Oh. Things are going to be interesting when I sneeze while driving.

“Ok now, change to first gear.”

Did as told.

“Release the clutch.”

Instructor kept his stick on my leg to prevent me from releasing the clutch too quickly. At about biting point, the car started rolling forward.

Thought bubble from my head: OMGOMG the car is moving. HE DIDN’T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE CAR MOVING!!

“Good. Now you can see the car is moving. Press the accelerator and we are moving off.”

Oh.

A million left turns and one right turn later, the lesson ended.

Said goodbye to Mr. Lim and ran off towards the bus stop. Can’t wait for lesson #2!

1 comment:

Shaun said...

you make yourself sound really heavy. enjoy driving!