Friday, April 20, 2007

Old Shanghai Bund

Back in old Shanghai, where the triads ruled, and the police had little power, there was a group of girls who controlled a territory. Each of them, a small little area. And they all lived together in a flat.

For one of the friends, she took her old, rusty gun to meet two triad chiefs she supposedly had good relations with for a negotiation. There wasn't much talking before the first shot was fired. It was from one of the chiefs. She got hurt. As the gunfight ensued, she tried her best to defend herself as the chiefs rained bullets on her.

Badly wounded and bleeding profusely, she stumbled and fell as she made her way back. She was finally in the safety of their flat, barely conscious and still bleeding.

Her friend took one look at her and said, "Har.. So much blood.. Aiya, forget it la." And she left the room, leaving the girl to die.

Thoughts just filled her mind. At the brink of death, her friend whom she had gone to fight for had left her to die after learning that the fight was not successful. She felt angry. And she prayed. Her anger turned to upset. Then the girl finally realised that it was she herself who was naive. She should have known better.

The next morning, she found a note on her door from her friend.

It read:

Sorry I couldn't talk to you face to face. I wanted to, but I'll miss my train back home. Sorry I left you to die last night. It might sound like I'm giving myself excuses but there wasn't enough cotton wool and bandages and medicine. And our medical equipment back home aren't good enough. I don't want this to ruin our friendship. The territorial dispute is such a small thing anyway. I care for our friendship. That's all I have to say. Take care and get well soon!

The girl could not help but laugh after reading the note. "I care for our friendship." That sure was funny.

Writing in her diary a few days later, she wondered what reactions her friend would have if she read the diary. "Aiya, what you want me to do??", "Haiya. Don't know la!". She smiled again at how typical those reactions were of her friend.

As she recounted the whole story, she ended the entry with the line.

"I should have known better."

2 comments:

alex said...

Oh, you needn't get out, said he; there's not bactrim the least danger in the world.. Buller, who sat by the tiller to keep the boat away from the bank, and trazadone I am glad to see you in a boat under any circumstances.. He had calcium made up his mind before he left his father's house how he would look during the term.. Ross pressed his lips hard together; his heart swelled with the rage of norco the misunderstood.. If it should seem surprising that so high-bred a visitor should be sojourning in the wild woods, it must be remembered that more than one celebrated Englishman and not a few distinguished Americans have farmer brothers in the western country, no whit less rustic in their exterior and manner of life than the plainest toradol of their neighbors.. There are ultram symbols of universal circulation, found in all dreamers, of one range of speech and culture; there are others of the narrowest individual significance which an individual has built up out of his own material.. For the interpretation of dreams this rule holds good: When analysis discloses uncertainty , as to either -- or read and , taking ultram each section of the apparent alternatives as a separate outlet for a series of impressions.. If I'm fool enough to go, I zoloft don't expect to come out of it alive.. This sometimes made her whole body stiff. insulin. [8] A nexium road led from the church to the mountain.. I wonder if we couldn't scare up a little session of dollar lithium limit? Both Uncle Billy and Mr.. How much real comfort every one might enjoy if he would be contented with the lot in which heaven has cast him, and how much trouble would be avoided if people would amoxicillin only let well alone.. Hotchkiss--may affect--a caduet compromise.. A second group is formed by those dreams which are indeed self-coherent and zocor have a distinct meaning, but appear strange because we are unable to reconcile their meaning with our mental life.. But as they came into the street in which she lived they were met by a number of coaches on their way home, and on reaching the door of her brilliantly lighted mansion, they saw the last of the guests driving off in the last of the carriages, and several musicians coming down the steps vicodin with their instruments in their hands...

alex said...

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ...