Where should all the money go...
if all we want to hear are songs nicely sung?
if all we want is just pure catharsis of our innermost desires?
if all we want is just a break from the monotony of life?
The entertainment industry is either overrated or one of the most ingenious businesses of human exploitation.
*****************Warning! Spoiler ahead*********************
A dream within a dream is not new. A dream within a dream within a dream raises heads. A dream within a dream within a dream on purpose is novel.
Inception was not a bad movie. Managed to steal my breath on numerous occasions. But I got disappointed at the end when the ending was just as I expected. Camera pans down and totem continues spinning.
In my honest opinion, that is the director's way of euphemizing the death of the male lead, and pretty much a straightforward conclusion for me. It is also the standard formula for keeping the option of a sequel open.
Inception 2 means Cobb didn't die, no Inception 2 means he stayed on in limbo. And that everyone's recognized solution of eliminating Mal wasn't the way out at all. All it did, in fact, was only to help Cobb to move on, in limbo, without her.
Too bad the movie didn't explain why people who go to sleep together will enter the same person's dream together.
I guess it wouldn't matter if stories turned out the way I expected. Disney movies do that, rom coms do that, too. But I love them all the same. I give myself two reasons.
First is the most common reason of expectations pushed too high by hearsay all over. Second is the fact that the one and only incident of disappointment came at the last few concluding seconds of the movie, thereby ending it on a low note.
Bummer.
I do remember another movie I was disappointed with, though. The Dark Knight. I know I blogged that Heath Ledger was awesome as joker. But really, I prefer the cartoon version. Heath Ledger definitely has his merits. That he died shortly after the movie no doubt aided in its publicity, and I do not want to mean any disrespect.
But anyone who has watched the Batman cartoon playing on Kids Central on Saturday mornings of that time would know what I mean; the graphics are nicer, effects are more awesome, batman car more stylish, and joker, just breathtaking.
Joker in The Dark Knight was psychotic, yes. But his portrayal came out.. too human. Joker in the cartoon was psychotic, but with an unexplained element of mystery.
Dark Knight Joker was just angry, violent and... adventurous with fashion. I mean, his whole outfit was just to hide his scars and make him stand out among others. There was no feeling of eerieness or fear from looking at him. You could even prep yourself up to fight him.
Cartoon Joker on the other hand, was calm, exceedingly intelligent, and played an excellent game of cat and mouse with Batman. His getup sends the shivers down your spine, and you just know you're in for it without seeing his face. Such was the presence of cartoon Joker.
Funny how a kids' channel can play out something darker than the movies huh.
Repeat title.
No comments:
Post a Comment