Sunday, July 18, 2010

Have you put God at the back of your mind yet?

This is a semi-controversial topic I've been putting off. It's purely my own thinking, and no church is involved in this.

I have God at the back of my mind. Not at the top of it. I am not constantly thinking of Bible verses, or any of the ten commandments. I do not repeatedly remind myself what I should do that my actions will be considered the Christian way, or look at others to see if God is pleased with them. Certainly, I do not look to God for every small thing in my life.

Why? Because I know He is there. I do not have to look for Him to know He is there, or pray for blessings to know that I will be blessed. I do not give in the hope that I might receive, because I know that I will receive no matter what.

God is always at the back of my mind. No matter what, He is always there.

He is my backer and assurance. The source of my confidence, and the knowledge that grace will lead me to do what is right.

I have never forgotten Him in my daily life. His awesomeness, loveliness and everything goodness are always.. at the back of my mind. And I intend to keep them there.

Let me explain. I did try to put God at the top of my mind. I ever tried repeating verses over and over in my head. And I found myself weary. I found that living a life this way was to put myself in the centre and God at the side. I was banking on myself and my own efforts to lead a Christian life and *gulp "follow the rules".

Some people make a show of their faith by praying before meals or tithing a fixed portion of their salaries. I have absolutely nothing against these. But are these people just following empty protocol?

I don't pray before meals, but I am thankful for the food, the place and the cooks throughout. I am happy everytime I eat and these thoughts don't disappear when I start or join in a conversation.

Neither do I tithe a standard amount. When it's time for offerings, I look into my wallet and give however much I want. There is no measurement for the amount and it certainly does not mean that I am any less grateful on the days I give lesser, and vice versa.

Some people might think that such thinking of mine will encourage arrogance, deceit and all other vices of Man.

I feel that when you truly understand what it means to have God as your backer, you will naturally act in blessed ways. At that time, you would also have removed the focus on yourself and placed God in the centre of your life.

No comments: