Sunday, April 27, 2008

Chapter 6

***********************************************
I seriously think Thailand did the right thing in announcing they will not cut rice exports now. Someone should give the fella who made the decision a Novel peace prize.

***********************************************

The ruffian shielded his eyes from the blinding sun as he turned a corner off the back alley. Right into the priest himself.

Partially blinded and unable to see, the ruffian squinted long and hard before he could make out the vague outline of a long robe.

"Good day, Father. What a surprise to see you around town." He managed uneasily.

"Only a surprise if you don't expect me here."

"Why wouldn't I expect you here? It's not the church but it's still the town and you have every right to be here, even if it's at the corner of a back alley with very few people." The ruffian grew confident as his eyesight restored.

"You're still a case of wits aren't you, Ruffian? Tell me, have you got anything to do with the popularity contest?"

"I'd love to say I didn't just to spite you, but you'll know about it anyway when I go confess my sins at the end of the week. Of course I had something and everything to do with it! The whole town had. We voted, yeah?"

"Very clever remarks, but my question remains unanswered."

"Dear priest, you are an intelligent man yourself. Don't come looking for me alone and expect me to talk. Gather the whole group and we'll be more than happy to tell you what we think, then see for yourself if it was ever our doing in the first place." he paused. "Good afternoon, Father."

The ruffian raised an imaginary hat, spun on his heels and walked away mocking a gentleman.

The priest watched the ruffian vanish around the corner and sighed. A turmoil of anger and resignation swirled giddily inside, sending an acute shot of migraine straight up his spine. He turned and began a painful walk back to the church.

No comments: