Tuesday, February 24, 2015

To Eggy

Dear Eggy,

We finally had a party at your house again this year. Didn't see you, and wondered where you were. Wanted to say hi, and tell you we are all good.

Li Hao just came back from exchange in the Netherlands. Had a lot of fun, made a lot of friends, went to many places, met a lot of girls, brought none of them back. And he actually took touristy photos in beautiful Europe!

Li Yao (and me actually) got promoted. Dear cousin now is a maaaanager! Managing a team of one, himself. And mine is still the same position.

Li Yan is, quiet as always. Shy, reserved, and takes her cue from Auntie Jenny.

Uncle David looks more and more like my dad by the day. He sat down at our table the other night, and out of the corner of my eye, I thought my dad joined us at the kid's table.

Uncle Roger and Auntie Doreen are still filling up our cups. Sans your brothers of course. They even waited for your mother to leave before opening the bottles.

Mama, is old. We can't hear her speak, she can't hear us talk. She's down to soft and wet foods, and she mostly sleeps after eating. She doesn't walk anymore. Li Hao said that's about it, we're just waiting. But I'd rather just wait, and wait. It is still always an assurance when Mama holds my hand, whether or not she knows it. I don't want to go back to where we sent you off.

How's Kong Kong? Young, strong and more handsome than he was? How are you? Enjoying the tallest mountains and most delicious food?

I won't pretend you're still around. But I know you are here with each and every one of us. I miss you, as we all do. Your laughter still resounds so clearly in my head. I saw a girl on the train the other day. She looked like you when you were young, but she's pretty much an adult. Round face and doe eyes. Though I have no idea to whose benefit this is haha. I have no idea how I'll react if one day I see a little boy who looks like the drawn portrait of you.

The wait is a lot longer for us than for you.
So do me a favour.
Prepare me a feast for when we meet again.
Welcome me with open arms and your trademark laughter.
Let me hear stories and tell me jokes.
Bring me places and show me what's fun.
Then, introduce me to the others, one by one.

Eggy, we are all well. How are you?

No comments: