I've always grappled with the concept of saying "No". It was so simple, yet so complicated. It is such an easy answer to give, then such a difficult answer to accept. Later on, I would learn it to be a difficult reply too.
I loathe dressing up and going for whatever. It used to be because I did not have the appropriate clothes for the occasion. Then it was because of the awkwardness in that artificial skin we donned for the event. Now, even as I learn to be an actor, I still find myself uneasy breathing in a mood deliberately hung up by someone else. (Yes, it wouldn't be that bad if I could tune the air myself.)
A friend once told me, "If you do not have a valid reason, you'll have to go". Indeed. It was either "Yes", or "Yes, but", never a simple, straightforward, easy "No".
I always thought people were weird in asking why not. Then I realised even they don't know what they are asking. They've fallen into the norm, and can't see the others outside of it.
And of course there are those who know when they ask why not. Though their ability to weave around the norm would have already accepted my easy "No".
Fortunately or unfortunately for me, this is the way society will remain. The norm is too entrenched, and it is tough for a fabric to be weaved if weaknesses are to be just allowed. It isn't exactly respecting a choice, but more like keeping things together. Humans connect easier than we realise, in the same way we disconnect easier than we would admit. But a connection once made, at most fades. It doesn't go away, wanted or unwanted.
Wonder, what do those born in the norm see?
No comments:
Post a Comment