It's always an eye-opener to me how people know others are different but maintain the concept of "we" as a group of homogenous people. All communications with "us" must be acceptable according to "our" standards and all communications to "them" should follow "our" standards.
For claiming to be from a multi-racial and multi-religious country, Singaporeans are some of the most guilty people.
I find it such an oxymoron that our stress on maintaining inter-racial harmony should culimate into intercultural communication classes in university.
Some of us are so narrow-minded to accept that other people have their own norms and practices too. It's not that we have to be polycentric to live up to our name as a quiltwork country, it's not that we have to compromise our values. Why can't we just respect others for their own backgrounds they were brought up in, and acknowledge that others have different systems of getting stuff done?
I really wish that this other person reads my blog as well cos these words would fit exactly what I want to say to him.
You can throw it back at me that I'm too myopic to accept you have your own conformist styles, but maybe you shouldn't be talking so much when your worldview is the sky from the bottom of the well.
No comments:
Post a Comment