Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Happy 2007!!

This is a post meant for yesterday, but my internet connection went down.

Whoa! Finally went out with the NJPS gang after sooooooooooooo long. And finally gave Chee Fung his birthday present after five months and 14 days. Haha. Happy birthday papaya!

Look what Jun Zhan did to his phone!

We went up to Sheares bridge, (our favourite shaky, unstable, vibrating fireworks spot), spotted a fallen Mango mannequin along the way, took a few photos, got a lot of attention, counted down, took the fireworks and spent the night out. Quite eventful actually.

Haha. We were told that the fireworks will come out in phases. The first (nicely called first burst by Jun Zhan) one at 10 pm, next at 11 pm, 11.30 pm and the last one at 12 am.

We were really all anticipating for the first burst at 10 pm. And when huge spotlights suddenly came on at the field below the bridge, we were so totally excited. Only to see pathetic sparks coming out of the NTUC building. We were like "What the hell?!"

At 11 pm, after bravely deciding not to get my gingerbread latte, we were aroused again when the spotlights came on, ONLY TO SEE THE SAME SPARKS FROM ANOTHER BUILDING. One Raffles Quay if I'm not wrong.

Damn stunned. I didn't even take any photos. I was just at a loss for words. WHAT THE HELL LA!! There were a lot of speculations. Like test-fire, mis-fire, IA, IIA, who could actually see what happened etc etc. Jun Zhan even predicted a question people at the Esplanade would ask, "What's the commotion?" There were a lot of anticipation too. And the two clowns were actually arguing if it would be Godzilla or Transformers that will emerge from under the boats.

At 11.30 pm, the bump boats (or however you spell it) and duck tours were already taking position in front of the bridge. Party revellers and tour guides hyping up the atmosphere and everything. Quite exciting. The 11.30 pm fireworks was also quite short, but we were pretty much sian diao already.

It was the 12.00 am one. That the real deal begin. Haha. The first few bursts were really big and loud. I freaked out la. But after that, the snapping began, full scale. My roll of film ended nicely near the end. Although I'm probably going to be puking blood when I get them developed.

8-seconds without tripod!! What the hell.. I can't believe I did that either. Just my camera and my hands. The photos are either going to be super chui, or I'm super lucky.

Haha. After the fireworks, when we finally left, we only wanted a place to sit down and rest. And we decided on TCC! Somewhere other than Macs. Haha. As it turned out, there is really no place that is really 24/7 other than Macs. Try as we might, we can't defy their monopoly. Macs wins hands down.

The HUGE traffic flow after the fireworks

We walked to Bras Besar, saw the TCC closed and refused to walk into a very crowded Macs. So we decided to head down towards Orchard Road and try our luck. Halfway through, we spotted a TCC with people still inside! Only to find out they were not letting anymore customers in. Then later on, we saw a Starbucks that was still open. Hope! Went in, and they said only takeaways cos they were closing. Damn! But never mind! I decided to get my gingerbread latte there and satisfy my craving.

And as we reached Plaza Sing, we saw a TCC still open! Whoa best! And found out they were closing at 3.00am. But on the other hand, the Starbucks across the plaza, was STILL open! Damn it man! This went on for the whole night. Wrong bets, just missed last orders, opposite shops still open.. Haiyo! Everything we did to not go into MacDonald's failed.

In the end, at around 5 in the morning, we walked into the Macs at Lucky Plaza (I think). Macs wins, hands down.

Haha. By that time, we were already pretty full from all the stops at (what we thought were) 24/7 restaurants. And Jun Zhan had to leave for camp. Haha. Chee Fung finally achieved the feat of not falling asleep at 5 am. It turned out it was Nuria who couldn't tahan in the end.

Chee Fung still couldn't resist the attack of the Z-monster


On the train ride home with Chee Fung, I didn't sleep much either. Five minutes at most I think. And could still go for half-boiled eggs with him at Toa Payoh. Haha. My first New Year's day spent outside and with my dear NJPS gang. Very well worth it I'd say.

On the bus ride home when the sun has risen


Haha. I'm still laughing (to myself) when I think of how they argue if transformers or godzilla will come out.

Couldn't resist this photo of Toa Payoh with the four rooftop cranes..

No comments: